The aviation industry is a high-powered sector that is reliant on exceptional skills development, training and ongoing professional development to ensure compliance with strict regulations and legislative requirements.
However, the pandemic forced high-risk training companies to find innovative ways of implementing their training that aligned with stringent regulatory mandates needing to:
- Ensure the integrity of the approved content and factual adherence without interpretation,
- Provide trainees with accessible education while ensuring a seamless transition from classroom-style training to online, and
- Provide a personalised learning journey over a one-size-fits-all programme.
Cranfield Aviation Training required a unique way of providing the continuous training that the aviation sector relied upon, across a broad spectrum of staff varying in age, experience, responsibility levels, IT competency and location.
The company built a training platform in collaboration with aNewSpring Learning Management System (LMS) that:
- Accommodates the often-restrictive aviation requirements and aligns with regulatory authority expectations,
- Provides customers with an understandable and simple system to meet their individual needs,
- Offers a comprehensive mix of theory, blended learning and facilitator-led instruction,
- Adapts according to the subject matter and Aviation Authority guidelines,
- Offers personalised certification, and *
- Has a unique proctoring function which physically films and records the user during the assessment, thereby ensuring that certain courses regulated within aviation have the physical proof and verification required.
The result is a reliable and supportive LMS system that delivers training courses approved and accredited by the South African Civil Aviation Authority and is relevant to the international aviation industry.
Using the variety of training programmes, learning activities and practical training solutions from aNewSpring content authoring tool, allows Cranfield Aviation to build its programmes using templates and custom functionality. This allowed them to expand their course offering to up 80 unique courses as of 2022, digitise its course content and gain global traction.
Says Rick Bosman of Cranfield Aviation: “It was this instruction-led learning methodology, as well as the proven competencies of New Leaf Technologies, which ensured we satisfied the regulatory authority requirements for online training.
“Our long-standing international aviation customers no longer have to send staff to South Africa to attend in-class away training. They can access this at the click of a button. It saves them time and money, plus it limits operational time-off.
“As a result of the transition to this LMS that offers online, blended or instructor-led facilitation, we have increased our international footprint, the number of courses we can offer in an online format and have given our users improved access to training on demand.
“The customer experience from logging on, transitioning through the course, completing the assessment and receiving their certification is seamless. We can be more efficient in servicing our customers’ needs and now offer an expanded range at a competitive rate.
“New Leaf Technologies collaborated closely with Cranfield Aviation Training to implement the LMS and overcome an initially very steep learning curve to ensure that the final product was easy to use, interactive and compliant.
“aNewSpring LMS was instrumental in enabling us to compete even more effectively on the global stage, attracting new markets and discovering smarter ways of improving the materials we had on offer.”
* Learners were required to physically attend training for certification and to show competency. Now the certification is embedded within the system and provides immediate confirmation and allocation for those needing urgent certification.